I'm on a train. Have just been out for a meal with two of my (close) friends from university, one of whom is just in remission from Hodgkin's lymphoma.
From my previous (and initial) blogs, you may have thought this was all going to be boy/sex/relationship related, but I really hope it's not. Obviously, a lot of my mentionable moments come from these encounters, but I think this is because I am most inappropriate/socially incompetent at these times, which is what makes it so blog-worthy!
This particular insight into my daily life will probably be horrifically dull to the majority of you reading this, but I don't doubt that the various g&t's and Pinot grigio's I've had this evening have something to do with it.
I had a lovely night, and it was so nice to see old friends, but sometimes, just sometimes, I wish people respected me for who I am and what I say. Do you ever feel like people think your opinion doesn't count? Or like you don't know what you're talking about? I may not read the times, I may not know the ins and outs of privatisation in the NHS, but I try my hardest to get involved whilst being polite, thoughtful and respectful of other peoples views. Surely this deserves the same behaviour in return?
I hate to use the feminist card, but perhaps it was because I was one girl amongst two guys. And what's ironic is that whilst I want to be respected as an equal, it annoyed me that I was left to walk back to the station alone at 11pm in a dubious area. However, female or male, if someone has travelled all the way to see you, then walks halfway across town to go to a restaurant near your house AND sat on her own whilst you both go outside for your cigarettes mid-meal, is it not common courtesy to walk her to the station?
What happened to manners?
No comments:
Post a Comment